February 2nd to March 28th
Two fun sustainability competitions to get you engaged in saving our one green planet!
Post your sustainable actions and tag @UofLSustainable to win a restored vintage Schwinn bicycle, gift cards to Comfy Cow and Heine Bros. coffee, and other fabulous prizes!
RecycleMania! - February 2 to March 28, 2020
A friendly annual competition among North American universities. During this 8 week period, UofL will compete to reduce waste, increase recycling & composting, and raise conservation awareness across all three campuses! Keep up with the Cards progress at the RecycleMania website.
- REDUCE & RECYCLE! Help the Cards to victory by avoiding disposables (bring your own mug, bottle, plate, etc.) and fully utilizing UofL’s amazingly easy, single-stream recycling system that lets you recycle everything in the same bin, everywhere on campus: all types of plastic, paper, cardboard, metal, and glass! Details on what you can recycle at UofL here.
- COMPOST! We will be collecting food wastes for composting from The Ville Grill and other campus dining locations and adding those numbers to UofL's organics recycling totals! You can also compost your food scraps and soiled paper products in the compost bins at the Garden Commons (next to the greenhouse behind the Cultural Center) and the Urban & Public Affairs Horticulture Zone. Please no animal/dairy products or liquids, but otherwise, if it came from a plant, we want to compost it: fruit & vegetable wastes/peels/rinds/seeds, bread, pasta, rice, tea bags, coffee grounds/filters, even paper products (tissues, towels, napkins, plates, cups, newspaper, etc.).
Residence Hall Conservation Throw-Down! - February 4-24, 2020
Live on campus? Win with conservation! UofL residence halls will compete among each other and battle together against campuses across the country to see who can reduce electricity use the most over three weeks. All you have to do is stop wasting energy! Turn off lights/TVs/computers; unplug anything you're not actively using; skip the elevator for the stairs; close windows tightly; dry clothes on a rack/line; take quick showers or shower with solar power at the SRC; etc.
- Keep track of each hall's progress with UofL's Building Dashboard! Use the Dashboard to see how much electricity your hall is using and learn how you can conserve! Halls in the competition include:
Bettie Johnson Hall
Billy Minardi Hall
Community Park (real-time data!)
Kurz Hall (real-time data!)
Louisville Hall (real-time data!)
Unitas Hall (real-time data!)
University Tower Apartments (UTA)
- In addition to weekly winners who will receive gift cards to Comfy Cow and Heine Bros. coffee, and other fabulous prizes, one resident who takes the most steps during Ecolympics 2020 will win a restored vintage Schwinn bicycle (or another bike of your preference)!
- Post your sustainable actions and tag @UofLSustainable throughout February & March to be entered into the competition!
Saturday, March 28