Application Deadline: Young Leaders Academy
Kentucky students who will have completed grades 9-12 (as of summer 2019) are eligible to apply for the Young Leaders Academy, a summer residential leadership conference at the University of Louisville. The McConnell Center offers this annual program to outstanding high school students to help hone their leadership skills and further their understanding of American history.
The summer 2019 conference will be held June 19-22 at the University of Louisville.
Applications must be submitted online. Final application deadline is April 15, 2019.
The theme of this year's conference is "Revisiting American Constitutionalism."
Conference topics include:
- The origins of written constitutions
- Federalist-Anti-Federalist debates
- Disagreements about the proper role of government in modern America
- Role of federal courts and political institutions in modern America
- What changes and amendments students might advocate to change our foundational law
- Resume - List your high school activities and leadership roles – not to exceed ONE typed page.
- Leadership Essay - 1000 WORDS (MAX). Describe your ideal leader, how you relate to such a model, and why you want to attend YLA.
- (optional) Recommendation: Submit one letter from a person (e.g., teacher, coach, supervisor, administrator, etc.) familiar with your leadership abilities.
Participants will stay at the University of Louisville under the guidance of McConnell Center staff and university honors students. Participants will take part in a series of seminars, discussions, lectures, team-building activities and structured socials during their four-day stay.
Sessions will be led by faculty, staff and students of the University of Louisville and other area institutions and will be conducted at or near an entry level college experience.
Each participant will receive a scholarship for the Young Leaders Academy that includes free lodging, meals and all conference materials.
Priority consideration will be given to students who have NOT previously attended a YLA program.
“This will be a tremendous educational experience, but it is also a terrific opportunity for those who might be interested in being considered for McConnell Scholarships to the University of Louisville,” said Gary Gregg, director of the McConnell Center.
For more information, contact Natalie Smith, YLA Director, at 502-852-3947 or email@example.com.
Monday, April 15
2215 S. 3rd Street , Louisville, Kentucky 40208
No recent activity